Giving Back to Communities
A culture of giving
SFM supports charitable organizations that enrich the lives of people, particularly in communities where our policyholders do business and our employees live. We are especially proud of our employees, whose generosity with their time and financial resources make a big difference in many ways.
In 2008, SFM created the SFM Foundation, a nonprofit scholarship program to benefit children of workers disabled or fatally injured in the course of working for Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa employers. Scholarships are awarded regardless of which insurance company was involved in the workers’ compensation claim and are eligible for renewal for up to five years. All funds raised go directly to scholarships. Learn more on at sfm-foundation.org.
SFM has a charitable giving committee that organizes opportunities for employees to volunteer and donate financial resources. Each year, the committee chooses a local charity to focus most of their support. Past events organized by the committee and other employee efforts have included:
- Annual United Way campaign
- Habitat for Humanity builds
- Annual funding of one SFM Foundation scholarship
- Silent auctions
- 5k runs with proceeds donated to charity
- Employee attendance at charity galas
- Ice cream socials with proceeds donated to charity
- Bag lunches for homeless shelters
- Making playdough for kids' programs
- "Dress down" days with proceeds donated to charity
- Food, housing supply and clothing drives
- Cooking challenges with proceeds donated to charity
- Toys for Tots and holiday giving tree
- Fundraisers to support health-related causes
- Fundraisers to benefit disaster relief funds
- Volunteering and local food shelves and donation centers
SFM accepts donation requests to support nonprofit organizations and causes that improve and enrich the lives of people in the surrounding community. Through SFM's Corporate Giving Program, SFM matches employee donations and external donation requests.
SFM also offers an annual floating holiday for employees to volunteer in the community.