Report an injury
As soon as you learn that an employee has been injured, follow these steps:
Get emergency care, if needed.
If it’s an emergency, call 911 or get the employee to an emergency care facility.
Call the SFM Work Injury Hotline immediately.*
For all non-emergency injuries, have the employee and his or her supervisor call the SFM Work Injury Hotline together immediately at (855) 675-3501. If no supervisor is available, the employee can call alone. The registered nurse who answers the phone will give your injured employee a treatment recommendation, and report the injury to SFM.
If you’d like a copy of the claim report, log in to CompOnline®. (Registration is required.)
*Important: Do not call the hotline if…
- The injured worker already received medical care — Report online here
- The injured worker isn't available to participate in a call — Report online here
- You're a third-party administration (TPA) client — View reporting instructions
- You're a Minnesota Workers' Compensation Assigned Risk (ARP) Plan client — Report online here
Next steps if the employee needs medical treatment
If the employee needs medical attention, send along
- A Work ability/Return-to-work form
- An insurance ID card
- A letter telling the treating physician you offer light-duty work
NOTE: In states outside of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota, SFM works with Gallagher Bassett Services to handle claims. If you are outside of these states, use the Gallagher Bassett Services temporary prescription form instead.
Ensure the physician knows you offer light-duty, transitional work and ask the employee to return the Work Ability/Return-to-Work form to you after the doctor visit.