Privacy notice and disclosure statement
We value and protect our customers’ privacy
SFM Mutual Insurance Company (“SFM”) does not disclose any non-public personal information about our policyholders, applicants, agents, customers, or former customers to any non-affiliated third party other than disclosures required or permitted by law, and even then only for the purpose of transacting the business of your insurance coverage or policy or for other legitimate business purposes.
SFM reserves the right to modify this Privacy Notice from time to time and will mark new versions with a corresponding effective date. We recommend users visit the Site to review any changes in our practices. By using this Site, using SFM’s services, and communicating with us, you agree to the terms of this Privacy Notice.
Collection of information
In order to serve our customers and to provide workers’ compensation and related products and services, SFM may obtain information from many different sources, including:
- Information that comes directly from our policyholders and/or their agents from applications for insurance and from other transactions and interactions with us.
- Information that comes from our policyholders or other customers about employees who are workers’ compensation claimants.
- Information about our customers from credit reporting organizations and other sources.
- Information about injured employees from insurance-reporting organizations, health care providers, government agencies, and other sources.
The type of information SFM collects depends on the type of policy or other product and includes the following:
- Credit and other financial information
- Claims history
- Information regarding previous insurance policies and programs
- Information needed to investigate and resolve claims
- Employment records and information related to injured employees
- Health care information and records needed to investigate and resolve work injuries
SFM automatically collects non-identifiable data on its websites through Google Analytics, Hotjar, and similar tools. We use this information to help us improve site users’ experience. Data collected includes time of visit, pages visited, clicks, time spent on pages, the previous page viewed (if a user clicked on a link to get to our site), location, age, gender and IP address (captured and stored only in anonymized form). Google provides a tool that allows you to opt-out from having data provided through Google Analytics. Similarly, Hotjar allows you to opt out of data collection and tracking by following the instructions on their opt-out page .
SFM uses “cookies” on this site. A cookie is a piece of data stored on a site visitor’s hard drive to help us improve your access to our site and identify repeat visitors to our site. Cookies can also enable us to track and target the interests of our users to enhance their experience on our site. Usage of a cookie is in no way linked to any personally identifiable information on our site. Most website browsers allow users to set their preferences to block cookies.
Disclosure of information
SFM does not sell private information about our policyholders or other customers, nor do we make private information available to nonaffiliated third parties for marketing purposes. We disclose such information only when it is necessary to conduct our insurance business, such as to:
- Service policies we issue
- Investigate and pay claims
- Comply with state or federal regulatory requests for information
- Process transactions that our customers request
Accordingly, depending on the product or service involved, SFM may, for example, share this information with the following:
- Insurance, workers’ compensation, and other government regulators
- A policyholder’s or other customer’s independent insurance agent
- Reinsurance companies with whom we do business
- Health care providers
- Attorneys and other agents working on our behalf in the adjudication of claims
- Data reporting agencies as required by law
SFM maintains physical and electronic safeguards to prevent access to nonpublic personal and proprietary information about our customers. We also comply with all applicable state and federal privacy and nondisclosure laws and regulations.
By providing information to SFM or browsing or providing information on the Site, users are providing their consent for SFM to use their individual information as outlined in this Privacy Notice.
SFM will not use or share individual information provided to us in ways incompatible with those described above, and we do not sell, for monetary consideration, your individual information to anyone. To the extent that applicable law requires express consent, express written consent, or “opt-in” for the collection and use of certain types of individual information, SFM will maintain processes and procedures to ensure such information is collected with express consent. Each digital communication users receive from SFM unrelated to services you have specifically requested will give users instructions on opting out or unsubscribing.
If you have questions or comments regarding this privacy and nondisclosure statement, please contact SFM’s General Counsel at (800) 937-1181.
You’re also welcome to email us.
This privacy and nondisclosure statement applies to SFM Mutual Insurance Company and to each of its affiliated companies.
Last updated: January 24, 2022
Effective: January 24, 2022