What happens when I call the SFM Work Injury Hotline?

When an employee is injured, you can report the injury by calling the SFM Work Injury Hotline at (855) 675-3501. Calling the hotline gives injured workers the opportunity to speak with a nurse about what to do next. It is also a streamlined method for reporting injuries since no forms or data entry are required.

Here’s what happens when you call:

1. A nurse will answer.

The registered nurse will talk first with the supervisor, and then ask to speak with the employee.

2. The nurse will ask the employee questions about the injury.

These questions will help to determine severity of the injury and the best way to address it. The nurse uses patented software to assist them in asking injured workers the right questions to determine what type of medical care the employee needs.

3. The employee will get a treatment recommendation.

This could range from self-care to a clinic referral or even emergency treatment. If the nurse recommends self-care, instructions can be emailed or faxed to the workplace.

After the call, the nurse will send the report to SFM.

Injured workers who choose to self-treat can call back for further advice if their condition changes or worsens.


How the SFM Work Injury Hotline service is provided

To provide the SFM Work Injury Hotline, SFM partners with Medcor, a Midwest-based company that has pioneered workplace injury triage since 1997.

Medcor's nurses are specially trained in responding to work injuries, and they operate under the supervision of a full-time medical director who is board certified in emergency medicine.

They use software that supports the company's patented methods for making the best triage recommendations for injured employees.

The Medcor call center is accredited by URAC, an independent nonprofit health care standards organization.


Common questions about the SFM Work Injury Hotline

Here are answers to some of the questions you might have about the hotline:

  • What if the injured employee doesn’t speak English?
    The nurses can access interpreters for more than 200 languages.

  • Are third-party administrator, high-deductible and assigned risk plan policyholders included in this program?
    Clients whose claims are administered by SFM Risk Solutions (as a third-party administrator) or Superior Point (for the Minnesota Workers' Compensation Assigned Risk Plan) are NOT included in this program.

    Policyholders with deductibles over $100,000 can choose whether to participate.

    If you are a third-party administration (TPA) clientclick here to report your claims.

    If you are insured through the Minnesota Workers' Compensation Assigned Risk plan, click here to report your claims on the Superior Point website .

  • Is there any fee for this service?
    No, it is free for most SFM policyholders to call the SFM Work Injury Hotline. The only exception is policyholders with deductibles over $100,000 that choose to participate.

  • What if an injured employee disagrees with the nurse's recommendation?
    It is still up to the employee to decide whether to follow the nurse's advice.

  • How can I inform and remind my supervisors to call the SFM Work Injury Hotline after an injury is reported?
    SFM has stickers and wallet cards containing the hotline number, and a poster explaining what to do in the event of an injury available. To order or print copies, see our Work Injury Hotline resources in the resource catalog.

  • Is there any setup required?
    No, all SFM policyholders are automatically enrolled in this service. If your company has a preferred medical provider, please let your SFM claims representative know, so that injured employees from your company are referred there when appropriate.

  • How will I find out about work injuries that employees have called in?
    All injury reports made to the hotline will be posted in CompOnline®. Simply set up claim alerts if you'd like to receive an email notification after claims are reported. The initial report from the Medcor nurse will also be available through CompOnline.

  • Can I still submit reports through sfmic.com or by fax ?
    Using the hotline or reporting online should be your preferred methods of injury reporting whenever possible. However, you still have the option to fax your state's paper First Report of Injury or call and speak to an SFM customer service representative to report an injury. For more details, visit our page on how to report injuries.


Introductory video on the SFM Work Injury Hotline

Here's a quick introduction to the SFM Work Injury Hotline for you and your employees:


  • What is a contact wallet card

  • I think you’re asking about our SFM Work Injury Hotline wallet cards, which are available for policyholders to order or download on this page: https://www.sfmic.com/resource-catalog/resource/744/

    Employers who have employees that work offsite often hand these cards out to these employees so they know how to call the hotline in the event they are injured on the job. The cards contain the phone number, along with spaces to write in information about your company that’s helpful for identification purposes when calling the hotline.

    I hope that answers your question, but if not, please feel free to post here again or click “contact” above to reach us in another way.

Related posts

Are infectious diseases acquired at work eligible for workers’ compensation feature image
Woman with cast on arm using iPad
What employers need to know about concussions feature image