Organize a safety committee
Having a safety committee is a great way to prevent injuries and protect your business from avoidable costs. In some states it’s even required by law.
A safety committee can:
- Make your employees more aware of safety
- Allow them to recognize and bring up safety concerns
- Show upper management's concern for employees' well-being
- Make management aware of safety issues
- Formalize your commitment to workplace safety
- Reduce the risk of OSHA citations or other state penalties
Am I required to have a safety committee?
Safety committees are always a good idea, but not all states require them.
Your state and
# of employees
Required to have committee?
Not regulated by state OSHA
Regulated by state OSHA and more than 25 employees
Regulated by state OSHA and less than 25 employees
Depends on your safety record and industry
*If you’re not sure if you need a safety committee, check with your regional OSHA office.
- Meet regularly and follow an agenda
- Promote safety
- Get input from coworkers
- Review workplace injuries, illnesses and near misses
- Do quarterly safety walk-throughs and note any concerns
- Work to correct any identified hazards
Having a safety committee is a good practice even if your state doesn't require you to have one.
Other things to keep in mind
- Keep the group small: Three to seven members is ideal
- Include a mix of employees and management from different areas of your organization
- Members should be elected by their coworkers, union or labor organization
- Upper management should oversee the group but not take over meetings or decisions
- Create a written mission statement so members know what’s expected of them
- Create separate committees if you have multiple locations with 50 or more employees
- Train new members so they know what is expected of them
- Make sure you have a budget for training, inspections, programs, incentives and other activities
For specific questions or assistance organizing a safety committee, call your loss prevention representative at (800) 937-1181.