Why choose SFM?
Why we're different
There are a lot of insurers out there who handle workers' compensation, so why choose SFM? Plain and simple, because we're the experts. We are the workers' compensation insurer of choice for more than 22,000 employers in the Midwest. We are known for our customer service, focus on safety, expertise in workers' comp and better outcomes.
Where we do business
Headquartered in Bloomington, Minnesota, we serve employers of all sizes and types based in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota. We also provide coverage to employers with out-of-state operations in Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Virginia.
States we cover
Partner with us for better outcomes
We deliver better outcomes for agents, employers and injured workers by providing unparalleled expertise in customer service, injury prevention and follow-through. We do this by building a dedicated team that is focused on obtaining long-term positive results for injured workers and the bottom line. Here are some reasons why you should choose us.
- 95% customer retention rate — the best in the business
- Mutual insurance company owned by our policyholders
- Staff who genuinely care about helping injured workers recover
- Services to keep workplaces safe
- Fast response to work injuries
- Better medical and return-to-work outcomes
- Competitive pricing
- Financial stability
- Cost controls to save employers money
- A+ Better Business Bureau accreditation
As a mutual insurance company we're owned by our customers. We manage ourselves responsibly because when we succeed, our policyholders do too. We're different from publicly traded insurance companies that often put the needs of their shareholders first.
Safety is our passion
We are a safety company, working hard to keep employees safe and bring injured workers back to health.
Our in-house services
Keeping as much of our services in house as possible means advantages for both employers and injured workers. We offer:
- Dedicated claims professionals who average 15+ years’ experience, are locally based, and specialize in each state’s rules and regulations
- Experienced injury prevention experts who understand employers’ unique safety risks and offer advice to prevent injuries
- In-house nurses and occupational therapists who help injured workers return to work and assist those requiring long-term treatment
- On-site physicians who advise claims representatives on complex medical issues and review diagnoses and treatment plans.
Learn more about our physician advisors
- In-house bill review professionals who help reduce costs on medical bills
- On-site attorneys who represent SFM policyholders in litigation and help claims representatives on difficult cases
Learn more about our attorneys
- Subrogation specialists who recover money when injuries involve third parties
- Fraud investigators who evaluate and pursue claims with red flags
Tools and self-help resources
We offer the following online tools and resources to make employers’ lives easier and educate them on workers’ comp:
- Policyholder portal to access claim and policy data, build customized reports, set up alerts and more
- Resources on hundreds of workers’ comp topics to download and order
- Safety tools to prevent injuries and educate workers about potential hazards
- Online bill pay by secure electronic check
- Online annual premium audits (for policyholders with premiums up to $10,000)
- Pay-as-you-go wage reporting for reporting wages if cash-flows aren’t consistent throughout the year
- Agency portal to submit quotes and access clients’ policies online (for agents)
New to workers’ comp?
Not everyone lives and breathes workers’ comp like we do. We recognize that you may not fully understand what workers’ compensation insurance is or how to get a policy. This is more of a comprehensive website on workers’ comp insurance, but if you want more of the basics you can visit our Workers' Comp Essentials website.Visit Workers' Comp Essentials