How we give back
Helping injured workers get their lives back is central to what we do, but it’s not the only way we serve the community. Between our own nonprofit, employee giving and corporate support we are always looking for more ways to make a positive impact on those in need.
One unique way we give back is through the SFM Foundation, a nonprofit we created to ease the burdens on families affected by workplace accidents.To do this, the Foundation provides post-secondary education scholarships to children of parents fatally or seriously injured while working for Minnesota, Iowa or Wisconsin employers.
- $1.4 million has been committed to support 129 scholarships awarded since the Foundation began in 2008
- Each student can receive up to $10,000 per year for up to five years
- Fundraising and event planning is done 100% by our employees and donated by SFM
- All funds raised go directly to scholarships
- Scholarships involve workers’ comp claims handled by 55 different insurers
- One scholarship each year is funded entirely by our employees
A Kids' Chance affiliate
SFM Foundation is a proud affiliate of the national nonprofit organization, Kids’ Chance of America, and is also known as Kids' Chance of Minnesota and Kids' Chance of Iowa.
Kids’ Chance creates, assists and supports organizations across the United States that provide educational opportunities and scholarships to the children of workers who were seriously injured or killed on the job.
Giving is ingrained in our culture at SFM. Helping injured workers get their lives back is part of what we do every day, but we also strive to improve and enrich the lives of people in the surrounding community.
Our charitable giving committee plans volunteer events and fundraisers to benefit local charities. Through the committee’s events employees have helped build and paint homes, made bag lunches, helped with charity mailings, organized donation drives and silent auctions, attended galas and more to help those in need.
Day off to volunteer
To encourage our employees to be active in their communities, each employee can take one paid day off per year to volunteer.
We donate to many charities throughout the year in the communities where our employees live and our policyholders do business. Organizations supported in 2016 included:
- Accessible Space
- Alzheimer's Association
- American Red Cross
- Appleton Area Health Services Foundation
- Bryon Riesch Paralysis Foundation
- Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota
- College of St. Benedict
- Community Health Charities
- Cornerstone Advocacy Service
- Fairview Youth Grief Services
- Fanconi Anemia Research Fund
- Feed My Starving Children
- Friendship Home
- Gift of Life Transplant House
- Global Health Ministries
- Habitat for Humanity
- Holly Scanlan Foundation, Inc.
- Home and Community Options
- International Justice Mission
- Justice, Aid and Development Foundation
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Kid's Chance of Nebraska
- Minneapolis Urban League
- Minnesota Home Ownership Center
- No Barriers Youth Food Shelf
- Operation Warm
- Pancreatic Cancer Action Network
- Second Harvest Heartland
- SFM Foundation
- Small Sums
- St. David's Child Development
- St. David's Gala
- St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
- St. Luke's
- Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
- The Food Group
- Tyler's Hope
- United Way
- University of Minnesota Foundation
We respond to external donation requests and match employee donations through our corporate giving program.
We review and respond to each request within 60 days of receiving a completed application. Recipient organizations may be listed in our annual report and website. Donations will be made either as a direct gift from the company or through matching funds. Preference will be given to organizations in which SFM employees, directors or direct contract agents are involved.
You must meet these guidelines to apply:
- Must be a tax-exempt organization under IRC §501(c)(3)
- Cannot be an individual, religious or fraternal organization, or political party or action committee
- SFM will not respond to requests for multi-year pledges or contributions